김현경(팔레드서울 큐레이터) ▶ 비현실적 삶의 풍경을 관념적 상상으로 표현한 풍자적이고 역설적인 발상 [Seong Tae-hun’s Flying Roosters]

by 성태훈 posted Jan 08, 2014
?

단축키

Prev이전 문서

Next다음 문서

ESC닫기

크게 작게 위로 아래로 댓글로 가기 인쇄
김현경(팔레드서울 큐레이터)

“비현실적 삶의 풍경을 관념적 상상으로 표현한 풍자적이고 역설적인 발상”

매화꽃을 본적이 있다. 군자의 절개와 지조를 상징하는 흰 빛과 붉은 빛의 매화… 어느 날 화가 성태훈의 그림 앞에 서게 되었다. 성태훈의 그림을 마주했을 때 그의 화폭에는 흰 빛이나 붉은 빛이 아닌 결코 현실에서 일어날 수 없는 초록색 매화꽃들이, 땅에서 분주히 다니고 있을 닭들이 하늘을 날고 있었다. 게다가 표면적으로 그렇게 화사하고 따듯한 풍경에 매화와 날아다니는 닭의 배경에는 일상에 올 것 같지 않은 폐허의 풍경이 등장해 묘한 긴장감이 든다.

어떻게 그의 화폭에서 매화꽃은 본래의 색이 아닌 초록색을 띄고 있을까,, 그것은 작가가 이 시대의 비현실적 삶의 풍경을 관념적 상상으로 표현한 풍자적이고 역설적인 발상일 것이다. 또한 작가는 현대사회에서 꿈과 현실의 괴리감 속에 의지를 상실해가는 자신을 날고 있는 닭으로 풍자함으로 미래의 꿈을 향한 비상의 의지를 나타내는 것은 아닐까,… 테러와 전쟁, 미지의 공포와 불안 같은 참혹함 들은 현재 우리가 누리고 있는 일상의 평화가 얼마나 소중한지 깨닫게 해준다. 또한 경제난과 빈부차 심화 등 시대상에 대해 희화성과 풍자성을 동반하는듯하다.

화사한 색들로 채색된 바탕 면에 전쟁이 휩쓸고 간 폐허의 잔재들이 동시대의 풍경들을 새기고 있다. 이러한 처참한 배경 위에 초록색 매화를 피우고, 날아가는 닭과 심지어 닭의 천적인 매, 꼿꼿이 피어있는 매화의 주위를 곤충대신 날고 있는 헬리콥터 등의 상징물들로 폭력이 지배하는 현실을 특유의 은유로 조롱한다. 폭력과 평온한 일상, 삶과 죽음을 동시에 조화시킴으로써 불안한 현실 앞에 초록의 매화를 피워 작가는 꿈과 희망을 이야기하는지도 모른다.

과거 역사현장을 폭로하는 화가로, 또 매화의 절개를 그리는 화가로 이제는 희망의 닭을 그리는 화가로 변화를 보여주고 있는 성태훈은 그 자체로 유토피아를 꿈꾼다.

내가 그의 화폭에서 본 매화는 단순히 녹색조의 매화가 아니라 바로 이 모순과 부조리로 가득 찬 세상에서 나 자신이 꿈꾸는 이상의 꽃이고 희망이고 염원이었다. 폭력이 난무하는 현대를 살아가고 있는 우리에게 대처해야 할 자세를 제시하고, 새로운 시작을 의미하는 희망의 메시지 이기도 하다.

Seong Tae-hun’s Flying Roosters
[By Kim Hyeon-gyeong]

I can remember when I saw plum blossoms. Their white or pink petals are well known for their integrity, like the fidelity of Korean traditional gentlemen. One day I found myself standing in front of Seong Tae-hun’s painting. When I looked at Seong’s painting, there were impossible greenish plum blossoms instead of the usual white or pink and roosters, which are supposed to peck at feed on the ground, were flying up in the sky. Additionally, the superficial warm and sweet landscapes as well as the flying flowers and roosters bring forth a bizarre sense of tension due to the appearance of ruins which are unlikely in the routines of everyday life.

How come the plum blossoms wear a green color instead of their original ones? This is concerned with Seong’s satirical and paradoxical visualization of an unrealistic life landscape of our times through his ideal imagination. In addition, the artist reveals a willingness to soar into the dreams of the future by satirizing as one of roosters, much like the artist himself who is losing his willingness within the distance between dreams and reality in modern society. The horrible images of terror, warfare, unknown fear and uneasiness lead us to recognize how important our daily peaceful routines are. Additionally, Seong adds a sense of humor and satire in the depiction of the economic crisis and serious gap between the rich and the poor. The remains of ruins from warfare compose the contemporary landscape on the brightly colored canvases.

The green plum blossoms, flying roosters, even hawks as natural enemies and helicopters flying around the flowers instead of bugs are depicted in the background of the horrible scenes, thereby mocking our violence-driven reality. Seong speaks of dreams and hopes through the green plum blossoms in the midst of an uneasiness in reality by harmonizing violence and peaceful routines as well as life and death. As a painter who has once disclosed historical scenes, depicted the integrity of plum blossoms, and finally visualizes hopes through roosters, Seong dreams of a utopia with his incessant attempts to not just settle for the status quo.The plum blossoms I saw in his painting were not just green flowers, but flowers of the ideal, hopes, and longings which I dream of in a world full of contradictions and absurdities. They suggest an attitude which we should take on living in this rampantly violent world and serve as a message of hope inspiring a new beginning.

Articles

1 2